Parliament of Owls...


Years ago, like PC (pre-Connor) era, I used to have scarves carry over from year to year.  Nothing was more frustrating to me as weaving takes a long time to create inventory, but not all inventory sells immediately or in the same season.  So most people would carry over inventory, right?  Well, maybe.  But not this person.  I hated unpacking the same inventory winter after winter.  

Enter my creative mind.  I needed to find a way to use the fabric created in these scarves that made them appealing to the public - again.  And not just for looking, for buying :)

I started with 2 scarves and figured out a shape that would fit into the fabric as made that would become that "under $20" item at my table.  Enter the owl.  

At the time, owl motifs were popping up in all sorts of decroative ways.  This was a trend, and I often steer clear of trends, but this idea seemed worthwhile to try.  

Owls...the first version:


The first owl had yarn eyes that were needle felted on, but that was too labour intensive for it to be produced in bulk.  So this one was just for me :)

Owls....moving forward:


The next owls all got felt eyes and noses and then the fun began.  I never point their eyes in the same direction.  This detail gives each owl their own personality.  For example:

Questioning?  Shocked?

Avoiding? 

Shocked?  Leery?

Regardless of their eyes, they have become decor from coast to coast to coast.  


They make great additions to wreaths, garland and windows.


Now, these limited edition owls are created with the remnants of my wool scarf weaving.  Each one is hand woven, cut, sewn and decorated.  They measure 3"x 4" and are hung from jute twine.  The patterns of the fabric are not recreated, so if you see some you like - jump on them!  I can't guarantee I'll make that yardage again.  

Owls....the present:



I've now been making these little owls for over 12 years.  Each year the fabric is different.  This year I have so many as I've been making scarves for Kings Landing Museum shop.  The selection has never been better and these little guys are in stock now!

Owls are $10 each and are easily mailed (at customer's expense) OR ready for local pick up in the Saint John area.  Reach out to me through my Facebook page: Sarah McIntyre Textiles.  







Comments

Popular Posts